Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My aplogizes to the future spouses.........

I started to admire my mother n law's tree this past week and how elegant and pretty it looked and then thought well perhaps in 25 years or so I too will have that window shopping sparkling tree too......... you see my mother-n- law as well as my mother handed down all "our" ornaments from when we grew up. So on our tree we hang proudly every sport figure from 1973 on, as well as every fad or special activity we were once involved in. As I hang them every year its nice to remember hanging them as a little kid and jocking for space on the tree (somehow it seemed Tom's always ended up dead center) so anyway.... every year as we put up the Xmas tree there are a few ornaments that are points of contention. No matter how I try they just always seem to end up in the dead back or nestled into the brush next to the trunk..... and Chris seems to complain about it every time -"why can't this one be in the front" Let me explain...... This ornament has always creeped me out - It's a homemade special from the dear hubbie but it is made out of a plastic medicine cup with gold glitter and a creepy rusty bell and hanger on top. Which was personalized with a green sharpie..... I mean bless his heart but Martha Stewart I know you are cringing......Somehow Chris will just not part with it......and neither could his mother - apparently she had the courage to hang this proudly on her Xmas tree for twenty five years until it was bestowed onto us......... let me have you get a little glimpse of it......



But then I came to thinking as my kids are bringing their homemade treasures home that I so proudly hang from our tree. I don't even think of giving them a side or back piece of real estate on the tree..... They get lake front property.....front and center......
and that is because I am a mom who is proud of these ridiculous things that they make with glitter and foam just as Chris mom was proud of his creepy medicine cup - and I too will store these for 20 some odd years or more until I can proudly present it to each of them and possibly their future spouses and say enjoy. Then secretly when I come to their houses at Christmas I will be searching for which one that spouse is hiding at the back of the tree and most likely move it to where it should be Lake front baby!!! So my apologies to the future spouses of my kids you will inherit all these treasures and hopefully will have an "ah-ha" moment and find it in yourself to not bury them at the back of the tree (I am really going to try hard next year to make space for the medicine cup! - perhaps I might find space on the side of the tree :) ) baby steps......

No comments: