Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Objects appear closer than they seem.....

I will admit it my rear view mirror isn't always used for it's intended purpose...
I mean I am not going to lie I have been known to occasionally bend that shiny tool my way to:
  1. check for that piece of food that might be lodged in my tooth prior to exiting the vehicle
  2. apply a fresh coat of Kiehls
  3. gasp in horror as I catch a glimpse of my now apparent John Stossel stache staring back at me.
  4. glance to check if I really look as cool as Gwen Stafani singing the lyrics to "hella good" (BTW I never do....haha
But I am a Mom now I need to stay focused on the road - I know hands at 10 and 2, seat belt on, kids tucked into their respective straight jackets (car seats), cell phone tucked away, but somehow that rear view mirror is always at a slight tilt not so much at me anymore its aimed back at my two little nuggets - sometimes the things I catch in my rear view mirror are some of my favorite moments......
  1. Brady falling fast asleep the minute the car has been turned on for more than 10 minutes and his cute little face resting on his cheek as if it were the fluffiest feather down pillow he has ever experienced.
  2. Brooke sacked out from going 100 miles an hour but doesn't care that her head and neck are not leaning on anything but just dangling in a constant head bob, all the while never waking up.
  3. Watching Brooke stare into the mirror singing Fergie "big girls don't cry" at the top of her lungs and seeing Brady in the same frame with his finger up to his mouth making the "shhhh" sound to his sister"
  4. Catching a glimpse of Brooke trying to read books to her brother and hearing her say "Brady let me hear you say monkey, Brady look at my lips mmmmmmmmonkey"
  5. Both the kids screaming Weeee every morning as we have renamed Laraway Lake "roller coaster road"
  6. Catching Brooke waving a finger at me in a disciplinary fashion and stating "Mom get your hand in the window, that is dangerous" when I try and be 10 again and do the hand worm in the gusty force of wind...
I could go on and on - the rear view mirror I know it, it is there for my safety and I should use it accordingly, but it has also proven to be a camera of where I can take snapshots of what the two turkeys that I continually can't take my eyes off of in fear that I might miss another cute interaction or fade away into dreamland ......oh yeah and one quick peek for me to make sure no kid has spilled, drooled or wiped anything on my outfit before I head out into public.


Thanks turkeys for making my rides so enjoyable, albeit not that safe.........

No comments: