Wednesday, May 27, 2009

26.2

Well I finished. It wasn't pretty but this peg leg made it over the finish line. It is hard to describe what the whole experience entailed that finally ended last weekend. I felt like I shed 20 lbs crossing that finish line, trust me I didn't as I immediately hobbled over to the coldstone tent 50 yards from the finish line, but just the immediate freedom I felt of accomplishing something that I spent SO much time training for and had such a rough last month with. The event was AWESOME, it was a small race compared to the "big city" adventures and honestly I welcomed it with open arms - there was no anxiety of crowds, getting to places on time, jocking for position, trying to find my pit crew, and truly being able to celebrate after without millions of people making it chaotic. So without all the bells and whistles it was a gorgeous flat course that ran along the bay.
So the race.....off we went embarking on a LONG journey when right around mile 6 my sweet left leg completely buckled on me - I just looked at my running partner and gave a look of desperation ...."are you kidding me" she tried to talk me through it and then seriously not 30 seconds later I look up and it was a sign, literally "A SIGN"...... it was an old man holding a poster board to encourage runners and it read:

"Pain is temporary.........Quitting is forever"

I think, son of a ..........how can I read that and not try? Honestly in hindsight, I could kiss that man, because I said that quote in my head for the next 20 miles and it had some effect, I am not going to lie. Even from the center of cynicism that I usually am - I believed it and him. I would have never forgave myself for not finishing. I had to remind myself that when it felt like a taser gun was being applied to my hip every time my left leg would make contact with the pavement that it was only temporary. I had no business running this race with the injury that I have, but how do you just turn away 5 months of time spent? Over 365 miles ran...... I couldn't. I truly believe running is the most humbling of sports.......My mind could have had the most competitive, cut throat thoughts running through it, but honestly it doesn't matter what your minds intentions are you only have your body telling you what it will and WILL NOT do.......and you have to accept that.....very humbling.

Here are a few pix of the event.....

This is sad since it was BEFORE the race .....not after.

I will be happy if I never lay my eyes on another Gu or Gatorade

Prior to the race, randomly feeling really calm about the whole thing.
Shedding some layers around mile 4.


Rob running and rallying Nikki in the final stretch and Nikki not caring one bit just rubbernecking trying to find the finish!
Sweet Jesus.
We did it.
Thank you Nikki, for "making" me do something you knew I wanted, but didn't want to commit to with all of life's other challenges that presented themselves around sign up time!Nothing says congrats like a bucket of frozen cream!
Our devoted pit crew......They were awesome, getting to be where they needed to be (even sprinting for two miles - yes we know ROB. to get us what we needed) My favorite wet washcloths!
With glory comes pain.....Nikki's of of many nasty blisters.....
I lost a toenail - I still haven't unwrapped it yet - completely freaks me out!
We immediately hopped into Lake Michigan's 30 degree water to numb the chicken bones!
I mean we had to replace the carbs somehow......
This is what we like to call Nikki "hittting the wall" luckily it didnt' happen around mile 18 when it is supposed to but more so at 10 pm.
So with a lot of help from our pit crew, who made every attempt to rub my leg and feed me Tylenol when asked I crossed that finished line and it was the best feeling I can imagine. Although I proclaimed LOUDLY and IMMEDIATELY upon the finish line that I am never running again, I am not going to lie four days I secretly ponder what my time "could have been" with a healthy leg...... dun dun dun.....

No comments: