Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Eyes wide open.....

I wish they weren't, but my eyes WERE (barely) open until about 3 a.m. Sunday morning. I participated on a 20 mile suicide prevention walk overnight through the streets of Chicago. It was a great event and more so than my eyes being open for that time frame of the day I noticed my heart opening even wider for the following reasons...

1. These families have truly been through the ringer

2. I never knew it had such a vast influence on all types of people.

3. I talked with total strangers about their loved ones being lost and thought how brave they were to be out and about so shortly after being effected.

4. I was surprised to see other people that I know, that I haven't seen in years walking because they also have been effected.

4. I witnessed folks who have lost, siblings, parents, children, or have attempted themselves.

5. I was amazed at how these people, no matter how hurt or angry they are, were not willing to give up on telling their loved one's story and not letting people forget.

For most of you who know me emotion and compassion are not two words that I do "easily" but I am human, and it was natural to let the cynical, sarcastic side of me go for a night and just listen to these people (another skill I am not real good at!) I went to this event to support a friend whose world has been turned upside down by this cause, but if anything she showed me what it is like to support someone, and not let them be forgotten not matter what.

Besides the underlying reason we were there, we had a great time and enjoyed 3 full days in the great windy city and laughed, ate, shopped and walked our butts off! Thanks for letting me be a part of something special.

3 ladies - child free and out for the night.....
Lucky us.....It also happened to be the taste of Chicago....Start of the Walk - opening ceremonies was held at Soldier Field.

Picture in front of the city before it got too dark!
3 a.m. and dunzo.......we picked up some folks who were alone and welcomed the company!





No comments: