Monday, June 22, 2009

Let's hear it for the boys!

We spent the weekend honoring a few good men....
We traveled to Chi-town and it was eye opening that we were going to celebrate my OLDER brother's 40th birthday and realizing he isn't that much older than me!!
Yikes.
I clearly remember the mid 80's when my parents were delivering black balloons and purchasing the "over the hill" merchandise for their friends and I remember thinking....
#1 These people are ancient
and
#2 How silly to make fun of them for getting old.
This flashback made me giggle as I was at Spencer Gifts purchasing an inflatable walker, a "still kickin it" cowboy hat, and digging up old incriminating pictures in order to poke fun at good ol' brother for reaching this milestone....how circular life is......not much changes. However, realizing I am closer to 40 than I ever anticipated I have somehow created a twisted rationalization that 40 is hardly old anymore as I once did in 1986, it's just all relative....how convenient right?? But since I have a few more years until I catch up to him I will still consider him ancient :)
So my brother seemed to welcome 40 with open arms as he raced a Nascar car at 140 mph, partied until 2am, and got up at 4am to fish with his son, I realized not much has changed. Sure there are a few more gray hairs, a couple added lbs, and some lines on our faces, but bottom line you are only as old as you let yourself be (or at least as old as everyone is making you feel on that particular day) I hope I remember that in a "few" more years!!
Here are some pix from the big event!

40 old crows dawned the lawn....
Yeah the inflatable walker gag gift is really short lived!

The cake....

He TOTALLY looks 40 - RIGHT?? (well of course next to his BABY sister!)

Jenn did a fantastic job pulling it all together and ACTUALLY surprising Mr. Nosy!!

The three cousins cooling off from the heat and humidity!

The pool was a total party - I mean why not a trampoline to assist pool jumping?!


Gorilla glued together - per usual!!

Mom and Bugs hanging poolside!


The other man of the hour was daddy dearest as we celebrated fathers day. The kids showered dear ol' dad with homemade crafts and pictures (below is one of my favorites of Brady bugs made at school..... shaving just like big daddy does) and Mom lent a slight reminder of that game seven Stanley cup ticket he purchased last week and not to be too disappointed at the watch and Superman underoos that Brady MADE ME get him! To watch our kids is the biggest Testament that you are a fantastic, patient, fun loving, caring DAD! Keep up the good work and who knows you might find a Superman Cape upgrade coming your way next year! Happy Dad's Day!

Dad and the nuggets out on the Riverwalk.....












No comments: