Saturday, December 22, 2012

Progress.

It all started with this email......


Dear Parent or Guardian: Brady Munson
This Friday you will receive a pink conference confirmation form attached to your student’s classroom teacher conference form requesting a conference with the Specials teachers as a group. The purpose of this additional conference with Specials teachers is to discuss some of the behavioral challenges your child may be experiencing during Specials classes or to update you as to how your student is managing in our classes after conferencing with you last school-year.

The issues in question may not be occurring in all of the Specials, but we will meet as a team as a matter of convenience for all of us, rather than asking you to meet with us separately.
We would like to share what we are experiencing and what we have been working on with your child.
We also would like to benefit from your expertise, so that together we can craft the best plan to help improve your child’s total educational experience.

So we went to conferences and found out he is an angel in the home classroom, however a bit of a stinker in the "special" classes (art, gym, music) (doesn't participate, hates to lose, likes to be the class clown, respectively) So of course the behavior is an easy one to correct and it was as soon as he knew we found out about it, but the lack of participation bugs me to the core. I knew it instantly that it was art. It always has been. If something is hard for this little one, he shys away and just doesn't do it. Period. He gets frustrated very easily. So to work we went, practicing at home, reassuring him that is doesn't have to be "perfect" etc..... Funny enough every time I volunteer in his class homeroom class his teacher raves about his drawings and work. So why not in art? No clue, so I emailed his art teacher requesting an update....

 
Hi Mrs. B –
I know it has been a while since we met at conferences in November, but I wanted to touch base with you and see how Brady is doing in art class. Has his level of participation gone up? He seems to be drawing more at home, however, still gets very frustrated if it doesn’t turn out the way he wanted or envisioned. I just hope he is trying for you a bit more than what we discussed at conferences. We ask him every week how art is going, but sometimes I don’t have a ton of faith in if I am getting the “real story”. I would love to get your view on it and if you have seen any improvement. He told me that his art got selected by the principal for the office and it gave me hope that things may be turning the corner, but I wanted to get your take on it.
Thanks,
Cherie

 Her response:  Which made for two proud parents!
Yes!
His interest has improved and his behavior is better. His art work is in the office because he worked so well and added an artistic touch to the VanGogh painting. I do hope you will stop by and see it framed in the office. he is quite proud of this.The class clapped for him when It was announced in art. I am glad to hear he is drawing more at home. he should just continue and make the mistake into something new.

Thank you for helping on this issue, I see improvement weekly.

 
 
So Way to go bugs.....for #1 telling us the truth......and #2 trying your best! It paid off! 
 
 This is one visit to the principals office I didn't mind! (and hopefully my only visit!)

No comments: