Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm sure this won't be the last......


So Brooke came home last Thursday from school and said she hurt her arm at recess. She was sort of cradling it, but she said she was fine. Brooke is the type of kid to lets say "play up being sick" in hoping to get some sort of preferential treatment. So I never really know how serious things can be .....She insisted she was fine......In hind sight she said she was fine, because in about 15 minutes we were leaving for her first gymnastics class that she had a lot of anticipation for! She promised she wanted to give it a try.......
Well we all show up at gymnastics, the teacher welcomed her with open arms as she remembered her from past classes, but there was something not right...even during stretches she just sat there, I warned the teacher that she said she hurt her arm but thought she could do the class still......well it proved it was more than your average hurt arm....she tried to do a somersault and collapsed she couldn't put any pressure on it even the teacher looked at me and was like "umm I think she is really hurt" YUP, mother of the year award recipient, I can hear it now!! Chris and I just look at each other like why are we here?? So we head to our neighbors, a nurse, who thought it would be nurse maid elbow after hearing my explanation. She tried to manipulate it for about 15 minutes to no avail, so off to urgent care we go to see her husband who runs the urgent care. I will have to say having preferential treatment at an urgent care is quite handy....no wait time all the nurses went over and beyond it was a nice change as I packed books of crossword puzzles and the portable DVD player on our way out thinking this might take all night....But in we went and our neighbor said defiantly not nurse maids elbow and we needed xrays.... ugh....I thought a whole winter with cabin fever and a cast???? So Brooke was totally intrigued by the whole process, she LOVED the xrays - you would never know she was hurt as she was like "these pictures are fun" "can we go look at my bones together" "can we do some more of my legs and head" to the nurse.....Anyway to make a long story hopefully a bit shorter.....no apparent breaks an "elbow strain" is what we walked away with and to keep an eye on it for 5-7 days since kids elbows are very hard to judge since all the bones are not completely fused together.....so if no major improvement in another 4 days we go back for x-rays....but prognosis looks good she has been using it a little more each day!
As much as I hope it isn't the case I can't imagine this will be our only time treating injuries for our little nuggets!

No comments: