Thursday, May 05, 2011

Underestimated.

Last fall Brady declared he wanted to play soccer in the spring, he has been going to Brooke’s games for years now and I think he finally was like I can do this too, right? Of course I said, “absolutely” but inside I was like oh boy, the shy kid wants to try a team sport, hold onto your hats…….because as I have witnessed the tears shed every time his sister or anyone else takes the ball away from him (even though that is the point of the game) …I think maybe we should start with something else…..so I introduced the thought of T-ball to him (ie. …not a lot of struggle, everyone gets a chance at batting , advancing to all the bases etc…..) His reply….”Nope mom I want to play soccer.” So this winter we had him do a sports sampler class and it was a huge hit, he loved it all but always when asked which sport he liked the best he always went back to soccer and when I ask why it is “because it is what Brookie plays and I am super fast”

So last weekend was our first game (no practices at this point ...smile...) On the ride over there we reviewed some guidelines……..
1. It’s okay if you don’t know everyone, these will be new friends
2. Listen to your coach; even though you never met him, you do what he says he’s the boss.
3. Don’t get upset if you get the ball taken away, you just try and get it back.
4. Don’t get mad if your jersey isn’t green (he prayed for it to be green) – you get what you get and you don’t get upset.
5. Be a good sport
6. Have fun.

Again…..his reply “MOM…..I already know all that!”

So we get there we find his team, meet his coach, get his new GREEN jersey, find out their team was going to be the “green dragons” He was literally jumping for joy for so long before the game started and bombing out with the ball that I had to inquire if he had to go to the bathroom….he replied “No I just love soccer” He did great and I definitely underestimated my little man. He ended up scoring 5 goals his very first game! Chris and I said it will be a proud parent day we will always remember, something clicked with this little man that day. However, the pride doesn’t stem from a goal scored or a win under their belts as a green dragon but for all the following reasons instead:

1. Our little man was ENTHUSIASTIC about an activity and joined willingly!
2. Our little man greeted the team and his new coach as if they were his new best friends
3. Our little man screamed “This is the BEST DAY EVER” as he came over for halftime. (at half time he also declared that he will be sleeping in his soccer uniform)
4. Our little man took turns and cheered for his team LOUDLY when it was his turn to sit out.
5. After our little man scored a goal he bolted to the side line and I asked him what he was doing he said “I scored….. it’s kissy and cuddle time mom!” (this one might rank highest on my list)
6. At the end of the game he just looked at Chris and I and said “Do we come back tomorrow to play again?”
7. Seriously, most of all is that our little man is maturing, breaking out of his shell, trying new things and enjoying them – there is nothing better to watch than that!

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that Brady’s favorite part besides everything listed above was that his sister was FINALLY watching what he was doing!

However there are two things we still must work on........


1. Being Humble - perhaps shouting at the top of his lungs "can you believe it is 10-2" isn't his best choice


2. Cherry picking is usually frowned upon (hence the five goals.)

No comments: