Thursday, August 11, 2011

Two Decades.

That is the time that has passed since I walked across the NCHS graduation stage and left my Redskin ways behind. As I ponder where the time went, sometimes I can accept that twenty years has gone by……College, Marriage, Career, Colorado, Kids, Michigan. I mean I guess it adds up, but then sometimes I can’t accept it. I feel like it was just yesterday when I spent everyday with these folks that I literally haven’t seen in decades, except a few solid friends that you hold on to dearly. So this summer I was faced with the daunting invite of my 20 year reunion. Rachel and I were on board 100%, our husbands however needed a little coercing. It went something like this: “You have to go, you just do, I can’t show up by myself…..you just have to take one for the team.” Rachel did not help the cause when she added “come on guys you will have each other to hang out with and it’s not like we won’t talk to you ON THE WAY OVER TO IT” Haha…….got to love her for it. So they complied and took one for the team, and in hind sight we didn’t need them there anyway.

So the night before we (meaning Rachel and I) studied our yearbooks, we argued about how we remembered things, We laughed about how Rachel thinks she hasn’t changed one bit, we wondered how did we get here from there. It was fun. We went on a tour of the school, I promised Brooke I would show her my old locker etc……well I didn’t recognize one hallway, it’s all very hi-tech and different. So my locker is somewhere in there in spirit…… There is now a pool so these poor kids don’t have to bus over to the neighboring high school for first period swimming after they got up to at 6am to hairspray their permed rats nest just so they could look good on the bus, go swimming and re-spray and defuse that perm after first period for the rest of the day(I don’t know who did that, but I heard a rumor someone did!). The night was full of familiar faces (thank goodness for name tags) because against Rachel’s wishes we have ALL changed! It was fun to talk and see what everyone is doing. I sort of relate it to speed dating a little…….
“Hi”
“What have you been up to? Where do you work? Are you married? Do you have children?”
And then on to the next…….

So after 20 years I have added this for you Rachel, Hopefully we have changed a bit (at least for the sake of the ozone layer!)
Twenty years later........
Why the shirt dribble Rach?

No comments: