Monday, August 29, 2011

It's happening.....

My little man is taking up new residency in a week and I am not sure how I feel about it. He has been occupied in a nice rental at the building next door to me for the last 5 years and I have LOVED it. But now he is a big man on campus and needs to upgrade to a six year lease, larger square footage, a gym, bigger backyard, and better furniture. This guy, who does he think he is, getting all grown up on me?? You see Brady is one that I always have worried about, I don’t know why…. he always seems to step up to the plate when it matters, maybe because he is my youngest and my last, I don’t know, but I continue to treat him delicately because “I” think he needs it……Well………I think the start of school may be harder on me than him since he is starting to make “me” see that he isn’t such a delicate flower after all……..

Case in point – Y5 Orientation last week……..I took time off work, because he needs me there right (well for other reasons than the obvious transportation) – he will need me to introduce him to his teacher, point out his new friends, give him the lay of the land right??

Well we show up he held my hand in the parking lot and all the way to the classroom and then let go and he goes like this to his teacher:

“Hi my name is Brady and you don’t have orange hair!” (Now let me remind you this is the same kid that hasn’t spoken to an adult on his own free will in the last five years) (Oh yeah and the orange comment, his teacher got switched last minute and we kept telling him she would have orange hair)

Then it continued – he went on his scavenger hunt to find things in the classroom and school and did it with enthusiasm and passion.

He introduced himself to a few buddies in class and started giving hi-fives to them, saying how awesome it was going to be, especially that there was another Brady in his class.

He rode the bus with his hands up in the air like he was on a roller coaster and just turns to me and says “This is fun, but I still think the Mac Dune Ride is better”
He opened his locker and immediately told me what each shelf and hook will be used for.

He ran out to the playground and I heard him yell to a kid “Do you know they have a computer lab here, pretty awesome huh”

It was a relief and a proud moment to watch him be so confident and happy about the start of something new. I hope we can enjoy this ride all year long.I still did take off of work for the first day of school, Just in case I need him………I mean if he needs me ………..







No comments: